Monday, November 12, 2012

Cold Tofurkey


I'm just play-acting in this pic with a rolled-up aluminum tube, but, yeah, I did use to smoke - like a chimney in fact, up to pack-and-a-half a day. Then one day in 1981, I noticed that no smoke had been emitted from the mouth of my dad, who used to smoke more than even me, for quite some time. It eluded me for easily a month.

"Hey, dad, did you quit smoking?" I asked.

"Yes, I did," replied my dad in his usual quiet, stoic way.

"When?"

"Oh, about a couple of months ago."

"Really? How?"

"Cold turkey (Chinese equivalent thereof)."

"Did you slip?"

"Just once, on the second day."

Since I've always wanted to do things better than my dad, I saw my opportunity. At about the same time, I moved to a new place. I'd read about moving being a good opportunity to quit, since there is no association between the new place and smoking. So I went for it.

And I did beat my dad to the goal. No slippage for even one day. Day before moving, 1.5 packs; day after, zero. Not easy, but proven possible.



Anthony Marr, Founder and President
Heal Our Planet Earth (HOPE)
Global Anti-Hunting Coalition (GAHC)
Anthony-Marr@HOPE-CARE.org
www.HOPE-CARE.org
www.facebook.com/Anthony.Marr.001
www.facebook.com/Global_Anti-Hunting_Coalition
www.myspace.com/AnthonyMarr
www.youtube.com/AnthonyMarr
www.HomoSapiensSaveYourEarth.blogspot.com
www.DearHomoSapiens.blogspot.com
www.AnthonyMarr13.wordpress.com

1 comment:

Jolanta said...

Good for you, Anthony! I'm very happy that you quit smoking. This way, you've extended your life significantly and you will live a healthy life - and health is the most precious thing we have. I work in a hospital and see people suffering and dying. If they could go back in time and change anything to prolong their life, they would. I'm glad that you had the wisdom to quit smoking when it was the right time to do it. Bravo!